Saturday, August 27, 2011

Crawling out of the "Girl Box"

Today, I attended my first coaches' training seminar for Girls on the Run of Iredell County!  For those of you who don't know about Girls on the Run, it's a non-profit organization that coaches 3rd through 8th grade girls to running their first 5K.  But, it's a whole lot more than just a running program.  Straight from the horse's mouth, er...their website, the mission of Girls on the Run (GOTR):  We inspire girls to be joyful, healthy and confident using a fun, experience-based curriculum which creatively integrates running

I am SO excited to begin my 12-week journey of coaching these young ladies and to hopefully make an impact on their lives while being an encouraging role model! 

During our training today, we watched a truly inspirational video by the founder of GOTR, Molly Barker.  One exceptionally poignant moment in the video was when she began discussing falling into the "girl box."  As explained by Molly, the "girl box" is a trap that many adolescent girls fall into when they don't feel like they are good enough, skinny enough, pretty enough, smart enough, etc.  Peer pressure, bombardment by the media, and other external factors are the culprits to this mean "girl box" that so many beautiful girls fall into.  Molly spoke of her first experience in the "girl box" and how running helped her to realize that she was good enough and she was able to get out of that box and form her own path. 

At that moment, I began to realize that even as an adult, I find that there are times that I still slide into that "girl box" from time to time.  In fact, I was in that "girl box" just yesterday when someone said something extremely hurtful to me.  For a split second, I let that person pull me down into the "girl box" and for the rest of the day, I felt like I wasn't good enough and that my future was going to be a miserable and ugly one.  After a good night sleep and a reassuring talk with my mom, I recognized that I am more than enough and I am paving a wonderful, exciting, fulfilling life for myself and my family.  In this morning's training, I crawled out of that box and I'll be damned if I let that person, or anyone else for that matter, drag me down into that ugliness!

I am so excited to meet my girls here in a few weeks and I know that, from this most recent experience in the "girl box," I can relate to what these ladies are going through and I can give them the ammunition and encouragement they need to climb out of that box and say "I AM ENOUGH!"

No comments:

Post a Comment