Sunday, January 8, 2012

Christmas Vacation

Happy New Year!!  Alas, a blog post on our Christmas happenings...finally!  I've come to realize I'm pretty crummy when it comes to keeping up with my blog posts.  But my house sure does get clean every weekend!  I guess you cant be good at everything, right?!  Christmas was an adventurous one for us this year!  Although we did zero traveling, by the time it was over, I was ready for a vacation!  My mom, dad and their pup Sandy drove up from Houston to visit for a few days...it's always wonderful to celebrate the holidays with family!  We did the whole turkey/dressing dinner with all the fixin's and exchanged gifts on Christmas morning.
Dad's annual Budweiser stein!

Mom loves her starfish necklace!

Parents enjoying all their goodies!

Dad's favorite gift...NHRA hats from his son-in-law!

My fabulous apron and drink cup, courtesy of my girl, Sarah Jane!


Mike gets the most FUN gifts...LOL ;)
Amidst all of the fun family time, we realized that we were being taken over by....DOGS!!!


Three smelly, drooling DOGS!

The Friday before Christmas, Mike and I went to take Bri for a walk at our local Mazeppa Road Park. As we entered the park, we noticed the sweetest little pup coming out of the woods, completely abandoned. Of course, we couldn't just leave the poor little doggy out there all by himself, so we took him home. In the spirit of Christmas, we named him Ralphie from A Christmas Story! After frantically calling every humane society in town and finding that they were all closed for the holiday, we welcomed Ralphie into his temporary home!

Ralphie the orphan.



...A dog's life!


Play time with Bri!


Off with his head!  Hehe ;)
We are anxious to find Ralphie a "furever" home!  Being that Mike and I work and are gone from home 12+ hours a day, and that we already have a furry child who we've just transitioned out of the puppy stage, we'd really like to find Ralphie a home where more attention can be given to him! 

Shameless Plug:  Ralphie is a 14-week old lab/pit bull mix pup.  He is current on all of his dewormers, heartworm preventative and vaccines.  He is also fully potty and crate-trained (thanks to his foster parents!).  He gets along great with other dogs and children alike!  If you know anyone looking for a sweet pup, please have them reach out to me!

Our New Year's Eve was pretty low key!  Mike and I had dinner at a steakhouse in downtown Mooresville called Epic Chophouse.  The restaurant featured a NYE four-course meal special.  I had the cheesy bruschetta (and a couple of Mike's GIGANTIC shrimp cocktail), bleu cheese wedge salad, filet mignon and the most magnificent chocolate dessert I have ever had in my LIFE!!!  It was a combination of mousse and molten lava cake with a cooke crust.  UNBELIEVABLE!!  Unfortunately, I was too busy stuffing my face to get any photos of the food, but I did get a couple "ambiance" photos!!

Epic...appropriate name for a damn good restaurant!

As far as resolutions are concerned, I've fallen victim to the "weight loss" resolution!   Actually, let's not call it a resolution, because I feel like the word "resolution" just sets people up for failure.  I'll call mine a goal!  I'd really like to lose about 15 pounds so that I am at my ideal weight to begin trying for a baby. I've signed myself up for boot camp classes three days a week (I must be crazy) and I'm keeping track of my daily caloric intake with My Fitness Pal.  I've always been good about working out, I just have to keep reminding myself that you can't out-exercise a bad diet!  My weakness is sugar, so I'm focusing on replacing my nightly dessert with fruit, and my 2pm sugar craving with a 90 calorie Fiber One brownie, or a low-calorie energy bar.  So, I can still get the sweet fix without going overboard!

Another goal of mine is to worry less about failed friendships.  Alot of times, I tend to focus on why a certain person doesn't like me, what went wrong in my relationships with others or why I cant seem to "click" with someone.  This year, when those nasty thoughts start creeping in, I'm going to re-train my brain to focus on those people whom I have wonderful, lasting relationships with and let them know how much I truly appreciate their friendship!

I've got a feeling this is going to be a wonderful year, friends!  I am thrilled for what this year has in store for the Smothers Fam in NC!  Stay tuned for fun, life-changing, sporadic blog posts from me!



1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful time! Can't wait to hang out again soon!

    ReplyDelete